Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gotta have faith, Part 2

In this two part series, I'm addressing how my faith has influenced my thoughts and actions over the past few months.  In part 1, I talked about how my faith has influenced my actions.  In part 2, I plan to cover the influence on my thoughts.  That sounds a lot more formal than I intend it to be, but I want to make sure I stay focused on the question!

First, my faith has influenced my thoughts by providing me with a source of comfort.  It's comforting to have faith in a higher being to pray to for help and guidance.  Also, I believe that everything happens for a reason.  I have noticed that every time something that I perceive to be bad happens, it always turns out to be for the better.  Or it turns out to be some sort of test of my strength or character.  For example...I was not hired when I applied to my first job out of college.  I was pretty disappointed about it.  But the woman doing the hiring pointed me to another job and I got it!

The point is, that this belief in fate helps me stay positive about my situation (and all situations).  Clearly, I have a brain tumor.  Now, I can either sit and cry about it and feel cursed and angry.  Or, I can learn from this experience and teach my children how to respond positively in adversity.  At the end of the day, I'm still going to have a brain tumor.  In Islam, we believe that we as humans don't have control over what happens to us (natural disaster, disease, etc.).  We believe that what we do have control over is how we respond to what happens to us.  For my part, I'm trying to think positive, productive thoughts and educate myself as much as possible about cancer and treatment.

Well, I'd like to conclude with some news.  Two weeks ago, I had an EEG.  Lots of fun.  Had electrodes all over my head and got to relax while bright lights were flashing at me.  I got the results back yesterday and everything is normal.

1 comment:

J said...

Great news about the results! I am glad you started your own blog. I'll bet you and Lilla compare notes and writing strategies. I keep you and your family in my thoughts. Will Adam miss teaching at West?

It sounds like you have inquisitive readers who ask you deep questions. I don't have those. Carolina football interests few.

J.D.