Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Welcome to my blog!

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am a 27 year old mother of two children, a girl and a boy.  My husband and I are committed to a life of service to others.  We both participated in Americorps for 2 years.  I also participated in Teach for America after serving in Americorps.  Now I stay at home with our children while he teaches at the local high school.

Shortly after the birth of my son, I had a tonic-clonic seizure for the first time in my life.  While the experience was frightening, it was nothing compared to the news we would receive at the hospital.  After numerous scans and tests were run on me, a "mass" was discovered on my brain.  Further MRI testing found it to be a brain tumor.  I was immediately scheduled for surgery to remove the tumor.

The week I spent in the hospital for my surgery was the longest week of my life.  I was operated on twice and constantly in an out of consciousness.  My wonderful, supportive family visited frequently to make the time pass, however, it was seemingly never ending.

Now I am home, unable to drive, and tired from taking care of two active children and recovering from surgery/childbirth.  I decided to start this blog to give myself something to do, share our activities with friends and family, and to educate others about our experience with having a brain tumor, treatment, insurance, etc.  I've also been having trouble with recalling recent events in my memory.  I'm hoping that "writing" it down will help my memory improve.

Thanks for visiting and hope you stop by again soon!  My goal is to update as frequently as possible.

-Ayisha

1 comment:

angela said...

Ayisha,
Hi, I just found out about your blog and obviously I have lots of catching up to do since I've only read your very first entry. But, I'm so glad you're ok.
Your kids are adorable and you are amazing!!!
love,
angela