Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti

What can we do?

Giving money feels so impersonal.  And it never seems like you can give enough, no matter how much you give.  Many of us just want to go.  Now.  And we want to help whoever we can however we can.  The knowledge that children are going without food, that people my age are going without medical treatment, that elderly are just being left on the streets to suffer hurts me in a way that just giving money cannot repair.  It is times like these when I have to turn to prayer.  I pray for those who are hurting, those who are separated from their loved ones, those who need food/water/shelter.

It seems so easy to turn off our TV and our minds to the situation in Haiti.  But they can't turn it off.  It is their reality and a reality that will be completely life changing.

As many of you know, I am particularly interested in the people of Haiti and the work of Paul Farmer of Partners in Health.  As an alternative to wedding gifts, we asked that money be donated to this organization after reading Mountains Beyond Mountains, chronicling the work of Paul Farmer and PIH, by Tracy Kidder.



I highly recommend reading this book if you have any interest in world health issues or an interest in Partners in Health.

Anyway, although we plan on giving money, I still never will get the feeling like it's enough.  I will always want to do more and not know what or how.  Does anyone else feel this way too?  Eventually, the problems of Haiti will fade in the news and in our minds as well.  I just hope that we will find ways to help that are meaningful and significant.

No comments: