Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The white blood cells that could


I have to admit, when it comes to pictures, I had to sneak in some preview photos from my awesome trip to Chicago, even though this post is about my most recent doctor's visit.  Above is a photo from the The Palmer House, which we visited while we were in downtown Chicago.

Now, for the doctor visit.  We went to visit the neuro-oncologist yesterday and learned a lot.  My new doctor (a very friendly and inquisitive doctor--I definitely got a good impression from him) also recommended chemotherapy as our first line of defense against the new growth.  The chemotherapy they are suggesting is a drug called temodar.  It is taken in pill form and I can be on it for up to two years.  Basically, I will be doing 5 days of treatment, 23 days of rest, wash, rinse, repeat for as long as my body can stand it.  The drug is supposed to significantly lower my white blood cell count.  This causes the exhaustion and susceptibility to illness.  I will also be having regular lab work and MRI's every 9 weeks.

Whew.  So far I'm feeling nervous/confused/excited about the whole thing, depending on the moment.  We're trying to learn as much as possible and mentally prep ourselves as well.  I probably won't be starting the chemo for a few weeks so we can sort out insurance because apparently chemotherapy is quite expensive--who knew?  Okay, that's it for now.  Will post more soon with Chicago/Christmas pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I finally figured out how to follow your blog! I hate that your tumor has grown and wish I could beat it up for you, but I know you guys are doing all the right things to make it go away. Hope you had a fabulous holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is Meredith. I guess I still have some figuring out to do!

Aunt Nancy said...

Let me know what I can do...especially if it involves watching Lilla and Isaac. But I'm also a good jitney driver if you need that as well.