Monday, July 11, 2011

30 Before 30--Flexing

In any weight loss attempt it is a miracle if one does not encounter some obstacles.  Apparently I am not excluded from this rule and therefore need all the help I can get.  Fortunately, I also have a lot of support and one of those supports is my sis-in-law, Sarah.  

After doing some hunting around, she found an interesting book called The Flexitarian Diet.  The book is for people who are like me--who like to eat a mostly vegetarian diet--but will eat meat every now and again.  What I like about the book is that it portion controls the meals for you, gives you lots of options,  lists all the dietary information for each recipe, and is pretty darn easy to follow.  Today was day 1 of our diet.  We will be trying a different recipe for each meal every day for the next 35 days at about 1500 calories per day (including 2 snacks per day).

For breakfast we had a Granola-Berry Parfait.  


Isaac gave the parfait two fingers up.  Yogurt, berries, and granola never go wrong around here.


For lunch we made a Caprese Pita.


Everyone loved this one.  Lilla gave it a thumbs up AND a wink.  With fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and a homemade vinaigrette there was not a crumb leftover.


For dinner we had a flatbread pizza with goat cheese, tomatoes, pine nuts, black olives, and fennel.


This was a less popular dish.  We really liked the idea, however we agreed that next time we'll replace the chopped fennel with some cooked spinach.  Lilla gives it a "thumbs sideways".


I'm trying to document this journey, because I find it to be interesting.  The book does not come with any pictures with the recipes and I want to remember what the stuff looks like.  I also want to remember our reactions to the food.  If you are interested in learning more about a flexitarian diet or want to talk about weight loss efforts with me, I'd love to hear from you!  Is anyone else out there trying to get healthy through eating more fruits and veggies?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

We put our fennel in the food processor, or, to be more exact, the mini chopper that came as an attachment to my new hand blender. It made the fennel very palatable--it is actually quite tasty!

The Blogger said...

As a side note, the chief chef (me), forgot to add the tomatoes until after a few minutes in the oven and I haven't the foggiest idea how to pick good fennel bulb. Ours was not the best. Any tips?
-Adam

Sarah said...

Well, we bought ours at the co-op, so I depend on them to select the best fennel for us. I've never seen a brown bulb or wilted leaves on their pretentious produce.

But according to http://www.chefsbest.org/fennel-9457.htm : "Choose fennel that has a white, smooth, firm bulb. There should be minimal brown bruising or age spots on the bulb. One of the telltale signs of fresh fennel is in the stem and leaves. The stems should feel firm and taut, like a celery stalk, and the leaves should not look or feel dry or wilted."

Fennel has anti-microbial properties, and is full of calcium, iron, phosphorous, and vitamins A and C! Apparently it is also used to curb appetites. Who knew? Nom nom nom nom...