Sunday, August 7, 2011

Chicago+Flexing=Pizza

I spent most of the last week in Chicago with a student of mine, learning about public speaking, service-learning, and ways to infuse improv into the after school program.  It was awesome.  I learned so much and made some new friends.  I also had the opportunity to go on a boat tour (pic below) and to a White Sox game where we got to experience a real Chicago downpour:

On the rooftop of Cellular Field w/ skyline in the background
(before the downpour)
The trouble with traveling and trying to lose weight is that we were offered potatoes with every single meal option.  Often multiple potato options (waffle fries or roasted potatoes?). And those tater tots were very difficult to resist.  However, before I left, I spoke with my health coach (Erica) and she told me that I could make a portion plate that is 1/4 protein, 1/4 grains, and 1/2 veggie/fruit.  Here is my attempt at a portion plate that also includes tots.  

It was too cute to not photograph
I realized how difficult it can be to count calories when you're away or even make healthy decisions.  While eating at Bruegger's, do I get the huge bagel with cream cheese or do I get the huge bagel with butter?  I just don't know the answer to those kind of questions.

Picture from the boat tour--it did not disappoint
I learned that as long as I try to watch my portions and stick to the portion plate, I should be fine.  And to not say "no" to the pizza.  Definitely do NOT say no to the pizza in Chicago.

2 comments:

rschermbeck said...

WHAT!?! You were in Chicago and I was not informed!! I was wondering if you were here when I saw a post of FB from Laura about seeing you. Since you were with a student you are forgiven...this time. Looks like you had a good time.

Ms. Joanna said...

your Chicago adventures are making me very very hungry..........